Choosing an assisted living facility is something that you should put great thought into; as this facility will be caring for you or your loved one every day of their life. Here are some of the most important factors to keep in mind when choosing an assisted living facility.
Top 5 Factors to Use in Choosing an Assisted Living Facility
- Personal Needs – Understanding and recognizing the needs specific to your case is important; keeping in mind the overall health, abilities, disabilities, funds, and functionality of you/your loved one. Often, utilizing a Care Manager can help ensure that the facility matches the needs and availability of funds to offer the best care possible.
- Client/Staff Interaction – Visit the facilities that interest you most so you can watch the interaction between the residents and the employees. When choosing an assisted living facility you want to be sure that you and your loved one feel as though they are safe and healthy with pleasant surroundings.
- Complaints – Utilize the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman for your state, available at the Resource Center or by calling the Resource Center at 202-332-2275, and ask for complaints for the facilities near you. Any problems, complaints or issues brought to the state will be listed and readily available for you to see.
- Amenities/Social Activities – It’s important to have special amenities available to keep you/your loved one socially active. Important things to look for may include an in-house hairdresser/barber, cooking groups, gardening clubs, card clubs, exercise classes, regular entertainment, and day trips are all activities and interests that can keep you/your loved one socially active.
- Ability to Remain Long-Term – It’s important that your loved one not have to be moved a number of times as they live out their golden years with provided caregiving that’s appropriate for their needs. Choose a facility that can accept the changes and needs of your loved one as they age; adding on needed health, mental health, and therapy programs/care as needed.
These are just a few of the important things to keep in mind when choosing an assisted living facility. Because choosing an assisted living facility can be time consuming and stressful, we can’t recommend enough how important it is to have someone who is experienced on your side when looking for the facility that fits your current and ongoing needs.
Senior Living Experts is here for you when it comes down to choosing an assisted living facility for you or your loved one in the Chicago area.
Photo by National Garden Clubs