Last week, we began highlighting Chicagoland individuals that go out of their way to help those vulnerable to COVID-19. Our #MentionMonday this week goes out to Mark Molinari, the football coach and Architecture and Engineering teacher at Downers Grove South High School, and other teachers in that department are creating face shields for area hospitals and healthcare workers. Pictured is an employee of Edward Hospital, Naperville, Illinois receiving masks.
Here is his letter to friends and family of Downers Grove South High School:
“Tuesday, Scott Parker, Ryan Altenburg, Mike Heinz and I came together to work on developing a prototype for Face Shields. We were able to come together and develop a relatively inexpensive shield that uses all the 3D printers we have South High. We are close to making 80 per day 7 days a week. We have been able to give away over 200 to all across the state and locally to hospitals.
Not all health care workers are able to receive a face shield. If you have family, relatives or loved ones that would benefit from these shields, fill out the form. I think its important for District 99 employee families have access to these. Keep in mind we are trying to do the best we can with time and resources please only order what you need. Once the form is completed, someone from our team will contact you when your shield is ready and where you can pick your shields up.”
This is what community looks like!
Keep in mind that there are tons of resources in Chicago, mostly those to help seniors. Here are just some:
- Feeding America is ensuring food banks across the country can feed those in need through their Covid-19 Response Fund, including vulnerable seniors and children who rely on school meals.
- Team Rubicon is mobilizing veterans to help those vulnerable
- Jewel, Mariano’s, and Whole Foods, and Target all have special “senior shopping hours”
- The Jewish United Fund, together with Maot Chitim is delivering Jewel Gift Cards to seniors for Passover
- Google launched a COVID-19 page with safety tips
- Hulu has added a free live news stream
- & more!
We’re happy to be surrounded by so many amazing people, including Mark. Interested in How Senior Living Communities are Keeping Coronavirus away? Our friends around Chicago are doing their best to keep seniors safe.