Today we are going to talk about what they all have in common. I go on so many tours and see so many places – and when going through the common areas you can tell that they are all trying to keep up with each other or at least offer some of the same things.
So in most cases the following list includes things that are included in the cost of Independent Living, assisted living and Supportive Living.
1. Beauty shops! They all have them – gotta keep that weekly appointment!
2. Bingo – well not necessarily, what I mean in organized activities like games, conversation groups, cards, and exercise.
3. Scheduled Transportation – to shopping or shows – sometimes they have routes that go by hospitals or doctor’s offices.
4. Emergency pull cords or some sort of emergency call system for peace of mind.
5. Someone in the building 24 X 7 – could be a doorman but someone to help if there is an emergency.
6. Meals! 1- 3 a day plus snacks and all the free coffee in the world
7. Housekeeping (schedule varies – but its is sometimes used as another way to check up and ensure the safety of the resident
8. Some utilities
9. Some type of care – either included in the cost or available for purchase a la carte.
10. Common areas – activity rooms, libraries, parlors.
11. Private phone lines (usually paid for by residents)
12. The ability to choose and keep your own doctor.
13. The ability to bring in services such as hospice like you would in your own home.
Later we will talk more about Independent Living specifically.