September is Healthy Aging Month! It’s a time to celebrate aging well and healthy living; created to remind us that we can age with a smile on our face.
Tips for Healthy Aging
- Eat Well – A healthy diet is important at every age but, we often find that as we age we tend to ignore our needs and opt for quick, less healthy options that are easier to fix and eat. Fixed incomes create a need to find ways to eat healthy on a budget; but it can be done!
- Proactive Medicine – It’s important to stay proactive when it comes to your health care and this means keeping up to date on immunizations and testing that is recommended for seniors. The NIH is an excellent resource for suggested immunizations and health screenings for men 50 and over; along with a separate listing focusing specifically on women age 50 and over.
- Keeping Active – Keeping active can be fun! Find one of the many free senior activities in the Chicago area that interest you, with this awesome resource guide for activities for seniors in Chicago. Keeping the mind and the body active will keep you smiling as you age.
- Accept Help – It’s often hard to accept that we can’t do everything we used to do; but, it’s important to prioritize your life tasks and accept help. One of the benefits of choosing to live in an assisted living facility is that you not only have assistance with everyday tasks but you also have access to activities and social functions; so you can concentrate on living life to the fullest while allowing others to do some of the tiring chores such as housekeeping, property upkeep, cooking, and more.
Resources for Healthy Aging
It’s becoming easier to age healthy, with a variety of both online and local resources to help make our lives better as we age.
- Senior Centers – Utilizing the resources of local center centers, such as the senior centers of Chicago, is an excellent way to keep busy and active.
- Find Local Fresh Produce – There is a website that you can scroll down to the city or state you live in or view these sites listed in Illinois currently listed as local farmers markets in your area. Finding locally grown healthy food options is a great way to get more for your money and eat the products that are freshest.
- Focus on Financial Wellness – Your overall “health” includes being financially healthy. There are a number of ways to ensure your financial focus and Senior Experts can help you with determining the financial abilities of living with a focus on healthy aging and your financial needs and expectations. Contact us for more information.
Looking Forward to the Future
Senior Living Experts can provide a number of resources and information that can help you with healthy aging and focusing on enjoying the future.
Photo by bryandilts / Pixabay