The holidays are quickly coming upon us, so Senior Living Experts would like to share some holiday tips and ideas for seniors in order to make it fun for everyone!
Holiday Tips and Ideas for Seniors – Chicago Outings
It can be difficult to take senior family members out during the holiday season; especially with winter weather to deal with. Besides a holiday care package, taking your loved one out for some time outside of their living facilities is another great way to enjoy the season!
These ideas may help you find a way to get them out and enjoying the community.
- Holiday Events Calendar for Chicago – Find out what’s going on in the Chicago area with this online events calendar. Take notice of the free events, such as the annual Downtown Oak Park Winterfest that offers a variety of free events on December 3rd along with the option of purchasing a $20 ticket to the Cookie Walk. If you’re from the Oak Park area or live nearby check out their man other December events for the holidays here.
- Music Therapy – The benefits of music are amazing and can work wonders on the mind and body. Locally, every Friday at Millennium Park there will be free Christmas Caroling at Cloud Gate so bundle up and enjoy the fresh air and sing-a-long. You can also enjoy music at home to create an atmosphere of calmness and serenity.
- Christmas Lights in Chicago – Everyone loves to see the beautiful light displays during the holidays. This guide to the holiday lights in Chicago is a helpful resource. You can also take short trips around your neighborhood (using your car or transit systems) to see the lights in the early evening. Keep trips short and remember that blinking lights could be confusing to some dementia patients.
- Holiday Tours – Prices vary to fit nearly every budget and include everything from helicopter tours to a holiday light tour via the trolley. This guide provides some great ideas for everyone, young and old.
Special Note: Remember to choose the outing that fits the abilities of your loved one best and always inquire about any special needs, such as wheelchair accessibility and places to rest if your loved one can walk but has limits.
Holiday Tips and Ideas for Seniors – Safety
Safety should always be considered when you are planning an event or special times with your senior loved one. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind.
- Holiday Lights – Solid lights are best because when lights blink, flash, or look as if they are moving it can cause problems with seniors. Those with dementia can become confused with the blinking; while the non-solid lights can also cause loss of balance for anyone, including seniors who are at risk for falling.
- Candles – Using LED flameless candles are the safest and best option. Today’s LED flameless candles are affordable and come in a variety of options. Realistic looking candles provide the ambiance and look of a real candle without the dangers. Many even come with a remote now so you don’t even have to get up to turn them off and on.
- Holiday Clutter – During the holidays our house can suddenly appear to look like it blew up! Be careful of holiday clutter. Gifts, decorations, extra cords, and other clutter can cause falling hazards and also confusion in those with dementia.
Happy Holidays from Senior Living Experts
Senior Living Experts hopes that your holiday season is filled with loving memories. We hope these holiday tips and ideas for seniors will help make your holidays safer and happier.