I just read an interesting article. The information comes for the “2006 Overview of Assisted Living, ” published by the National Center for Assisted Living.
- The average age is 85
- More than 75% are female
- Typical resident is an 86 y.o. femail who is mobile, but needs assistance with approx 2 activities of daily living. (ADL’s)
- More than 900,000 people nationwide live in assisted living settings
- The average length of stay is about 27 months. 34% of residents will move to a nursing facility. 30% will pass away. The remaining will move home or to another location.
- 86% need help managing their medications
- 60% moved from a private home or apartment, 12% from a retirement or independent living community, 10% from their children’s homes, 9% from another assisted living and 8% from a nursing facility.